Being vegan, we're fully aware that many people think that we miss out on a lot of goodness in the food world. We feel exactly the opposite of that, and recipes likes these prove it. So, if you're right there with us, why not make some yummy vegan candy for some non-vegans in your life and show them a thing or two about how us vegans get down?!
If you were a fan of the Cadbury Creme Egg as a kid, this veganized recipe might just make your week. We're not quite sure what was in the white filling in the original egg, but it's safe to say that it's not vegan (the chocolate is definitely not). This chocolate egg is. And it's BOMB.....
Chocolate Cream Eggs, Veganized
- 1½ cups non-dairy chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp and 2 tsp coconut oil, room temperature (melted, separated)
- 6 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tbsp vegan vanilla protein powder (we used Sunwarrior Raw)
- 2-3 tbsp naturally-sweetened apricot jelly
- Get supplies ready. You'll need a candy egg mold* (big enough for 10 egg halves) and a baking sheet. Cover the 9×11 baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Set aside. (You can also use a mini muffin tin lined with mini cupcake liners. You won't get the egg shape, but they'll still be bomb.)
- In a small bowl, microwave chocolate chips and 2 tsp coconut oil in 30 second increments for a total of 60 seconds (two times). Stir between each increment. (Alternatively, melt chocolate in double broiler over stove top.) Stir chocolate until completely melted. Do not overheat the chocolate.
- Using a large spoon, drop 2-3 tbsp melted chocolate into each egg mold (this recipe will make 4-5 eggs). Use back of spoon to spread chocolate onto sides of egg mold. Be sure to have a good amount of chocolate on sides of egg. If using muffin liners, drop 2 tbsp chocolate into bottom of each cupcake liner (have liners set up on a baking sheet or in muffin tin). Place egg mold or muffin tin into freezer to set for 20 minutes.
- While eggs are chilling in freezer, mix agave, protein powder, and 2 tbsp coconut oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Remove egg mold or muffin tin from freezer. Carefully roll egg mold away from chocolate to remove the eggs. Place on prepared baking sheet. (Be very careful with this step!) If using muffin liners, leave chocolate in liner.
- Fill ½ of chocolate eggs (about 5 halves) with 1-2 tbsp cream mixture. Add a small dollop of apricot jelly onto cream. Place back in freezer for five minutes. (In muffin liners, top each chocolate with 1-2 tbsp cream mixture. Add a dollop of apricot jelly. Top each with another tbsp of melted chocolate, place back in freezer until set.)
- Remove eggs from freezer. Coat outer edges of cream-filled egg sides with a small amount of melted chocolate. Carefully press other half of egg (empty half) onto melted chocolate-lined cream egg. Place on baking sheet and back into freezer to set for 20 minutes.
- Store in refrigerator for up to one week.
*Note: You can score the candy egg mold on Amazon, or just use mini muffin liners (double them up) and a mini muffin tin. Or you can just double up the liners and place on a baking sheet. Don't let the lack of an egg mold stop your vegan fun!!!
MORE VEGAN EASTER CANDY + COOKIE GOODNESS: